BREAKING NEWS
DEVELOPING STORY

US President Trump defends high US gas prices, says he won't apologize amid Iran war

Source:
Updated
As of
Published
August 17, 2026
August 17, 2026 10:05 AM
August 17, 2026 6:20 AM
PST
Updated on
As of
August 17, 2026
August 17, 2026
August 17, 2026 10:05 AM
PST
Video Source:
Image Source:

Nearly six months since war broke out between the United States, Israel, and Iran, the conflict continues to affect global oil supply and prices.

Before the war, roughly twenty percent of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments passed through the Strait of Hormuz. But due to Iran's tight control over the route, the number of vessels crossing it has dropped significantly.

According to ship-tracking firm Kpler, only two ships crossed the strait on Friday, with no crude oil shipments recorded, far from the more than 130 vessels that used to pass through daily before the war.

The effects of rising oil prices are also being felt in the US. The average price of a gallon of gasoline in the country has reached around $4.80, twenty-nine percent higher compared to last year.

But according to US President Donald Trump, Americans should accept slightly higher gasoline prices in exchange for ensuring that Iran does not acquire a nuclear weapon.

"So for you to pay a tiny little bit more for your gasoline, just remember you're doing it so that a very evil country cannot have a, really it's the number one state sponsor of terror in the world. We don't want to have them have a nuclear weapon. So remember that when you have to pay a little bit more, you're at $4. It's okay. I mean, I'm not, I'm not — I'll never apologize."

Trump also maintained that his decision to continue the war against Iran was the right one. He added that they are close to fully defeating Iran, and once that happens, he will declare the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States.

"And after we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States."

Iran, however, strongly opposed this. Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi stressed that the Strait of Hormuz cannot be claimed simply through statements or shows of military force.

Gharibabadi added that only Iran will decide when to open or close the strait, and that as long as the US does not accept the reality of its defeat, Iran will continue the blockade.

Senior Military Advisor Amir Hatami also criticized Trump's statement and called it senseless.

"The criminal President of America says, 'I want to declare the Strait of Hormuz as part of the land of crime.' First of all, you are talking nonsense! Of course, after they realized what a huge mistake they made, they said, 'We were just joking.' Even making such a joke is a huge mistake!"

Meanwhile, there is still no visible progress in US-Iran peace talks. According to Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, Tehran has made no decision to resume direct negotiations with Washington.

"Mediators, both Qatar and Pakistan, are exchanging messages and are in contact with us, but this does not mean active negotiations. No decision has yet been made to resume direct negotiations with America."

Technical talks between Iran and Oman continue for new shipping routes for vessels passing through the Strait of Hormuz.

How do you feel about this article?
How do you feel about this video?
Amused
Happy
Neutral
Sad
Angry
Furious
Pick your vibe
You added to the count!
0
reaction
now.

Other News