The Philippine National Police (PNP) presented the results of its investigation into the May 13 Senate shooting incident, showing the media new CCTV footage and a detailed timeline of events. The agency concluded that no attack on the Senate took place.
Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jonvic Remulla said the evidence points to a different scenario than initially reported.
"Unang-una po, for the record, all evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate," Remulla said.
(First and foremost, for the record, all evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate.)
According to the PNP, 29 NBI agents arrived at the GSIS Main Building with GSIS security at 6:17 PM on May 13, responding to a request from GSIS General Manager Wick Veloso to secure the area.
At 6:51 PM, the NBI agents began inspecting portions of the GSIS office, including the canteen near the site of the shooting. They also surveyed the Level 2 medical hallway.
NBI personnel reached the canteen veranda at 6:52 PM, and by 7:02 PM, two NBI agents were posted at the door leading to the Senate premises, where the gunfire later occurred.
A drilling sound was heard at 7:39 PM PNP Chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said the noise came from the reinforcement of a steel door at the GSIS ground floor.
"because at GSIS premises particularly at the ground floor may pinto po doon na steel door na pinortify [fortify] ng ating maintenance o security ng GSIS," Nartatez said.
(Because at the GSIS premises, particularly at the ground floor, there is a steel door that was fortified by our maintenance or security of the GSIS.)
Remulla added that Senate maintenance had been informed about the drilling work in advance.
"They had duly informed the maintenance of the Senate that there was going to be drill work going on in all the doors of the GSIS connecting to the Senate," Remulla said.
At 7:44 PM, Marines security and the Office of the Sergeant-at-Arms (OSAA), led by Acting Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca, assembled. One minute later, Aplasca's group moved into the outdoor canteen of the GSIS office, where the two NBI agents were stationed.
The confrontation between the OSAA-led group and the NBI agents took place between 7:46 PM and 7:49 PM, resulting in the gunfire.
"According to testimony of General Aplasca himself, he opened the door and he asked 'sino ka'. The agent identified himself as NBI. Shortly thereafter, he fired three shots toward—shot three shots into the–not exactly the direction, but three shots towards the vicinity of the NBI agent. And you can see the muzzle fire there, the blast, ipakita mo, General, rewind please about 10 seconds. One, two, three firearms, then the agent withdrew behind the air conditioning dock units. And because he was being fired upon, he discharged a cover fire. Take note that the cover fire was because he was under the impression that he was under attack," Remulla said.
(According to the testimony of General Aplasca himself, he opened the door and he asked "who are you." The agent identified himself as NBI. Shortly thereafter, he fired three shots toward—shot three shots into the—not exactly the direction, but three shots towards the vicinity of the NBI agent. And you can see the muzzle fire there, the blast, show it, General, rewind please about 10 seconds. One, two, three firearms, then the agent withdrew behind the air conditioning dock units. And because he was being fired upon, he discharged a cover fire. Take note that the cover fire was because he was under the impression that he was under attack.)
CCTV footage showed Aplasca and OSAA personnel leaving the area of the incident at 7:50 p.m.
The investigation also showed that Senator Ronald "Bato" Dela Rosa was seen leaving the Senate at 2:30 AM on May 14.
"It shows the white Fortuner and personalities going out from the Senate particularly makita natin doon ang Senator Bato and Senator Padilla and going to the vehicle na Fortuner," Nartatez said.
(It shows the white Fortuner and personalities going out from the Senate, and we can see there Senator Bato and Senator Padilla going to the Fortuner vehicle.)
Remulla also explained why the NBI, instead of the PNP, was tasked to secure the GSIS Main Office.
"PNP was already guarding the front of the building. We had approximately one thousand plus. In this case, he thought it more prudent that the NBI secure the area according to their capacity," Remulla said.
Nartatez said coordination on GSIS security had begun on the morning of May 12 between GSIS security officials and the OSAA.
"umaga pa lang ng May 12 may nag-coordinate na po na… nagku-coordinate na ang GSIS security officials and the OSAA security officials with regards to the security on GSIS. That will show that there was really a meeting," Nartatez said.
(As early as the morning of May 12, there was already coordination… GSIS security officials and OSAA security officials were coordinating with regards to the security on GSIS. That will show that there was really a meeting.)
The PNP turned over the results of its investigation to Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Frederick Vida the day before. Vida said the DOJ will not accept the findings outright and will conduct further evaluation.
"in similar route, it will go to the panel and it will all be evaluated. Nakita ninyo naman mga kababayan ko 'no, compelling iyong facts that have been unearthed but we still need to verify and validate 'no. The DOJ will not take this as-is 'no, we will check on the timelines, we will check on the source of the videos and everything. Kasi sa dulo nito, kailangan iyong katotohanan lang," Vida said.
(In similar route, it will go to the panel and it will all be evaluated. You have seen, my fellow Filipinos, the facts that have been unearthed are compelling but we still need to verify and validate. The DOJ will not take this as-is, we will check on the timelines, we will check on the source of the videos and everything. Because in the end, what is needed is the truth.)























