The National Water Resources Board (NWRB) previously announced the possibility of reducing water allocations due to declining water levels at Angat Dam.
“Isa sa mga pwede po nating intervention na pwede po nating ilatag ay yung pagbabawas ng alokasyon, hindi naman po dahil mababa na but para po mapangalagaan yung mga pangangailangan po natin sa mga susunod na buwan po,” NWRB Director David Jr. said
As of May 20 (8:00 AM), the water level of the dam has dropped to 177.05 meters; this is lower than the 177.41 reported on May 19. These figures are below the minimum operating level.
The minimum operating level of Angat Dam is approximately 180 meters.
On May 14, the water allocation for irrigation in Bulacan and Pampanga was suspended because the cropping season had ended.
“Sa ngayon sa ganitong panahon ay nasa anihan na ‘yong mga kababayan nating magsasaka diyan sa Bulacan at Pampanga kaya nga noong May 14 palang ay nagkaroon na rin ng suspensuon ng releases para sa irigasyon,” NWRB Director David Jr. said
The suspension was also made to prioritize supplying water to the consumers in Metro Manila.
“Pagka bumaba sa 180 na minimum operating level ay mas binibigyan na ng prayoridad ‘yong water supply para sa Metro Manila kumpara sa ibang mga paggamit ng Angat Dam kagaya ng irigasyon at hydropower,” according to NWRB Director David Jr.
Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System Department Manager Engr. Patrick Dizon stated that the mitigating measures are ready, including deep wells, a water treatment plant in Laguna Lake, and the operation of Wawa Dam in Rizal.
With reports from JP Nuñez and Nestor Torres
























