MANILA – Malacañang brushed off Vice President Sara Duterte’s formal announcement of her 2028 presidential bid, saying it was long expected.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro clarified in her press briefing on Thursday, February 19, that President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. remains undeterred by the development.
"Hindi naman po kasindak-sindak 'yung paga-announce na siya ay tatakbo sa pagkapangulo dahil ramdam na ramdam na po, even before, ang kanyang pangangampanya sa labas.” Castro said.
She added that the Vice President’s intentions had been clear for some time, making the official declaration more of a formality than a surprise.
“So, hindi po nakakagulat na siya ay mag-announce na siya’y tatakbo.” Castro continued.
"Therefore, it is not alarming that she announced that she will run [for President],” Castro told reporters, emphasizing that the Palace had long observed Duterte’s active movements across the country.
According to the Press Officer, the Vice President’s "campaign-like" activities on the ground were evident well before the announcement, removing any element of surprise.
The Palace stressed that the administration remains focused on its current mandate despite the early stirrings in the political landscape.






















