MANILA, Philippines — The student behind the August 18 shooting at Ateneo de Zamboanga University allegedly used a ramp for persons with disabilities to bypass the school’s regular security checkpoint, a Senate inquiry found.
Ateneo de Zamboanga University said the ramp is normally closed and is only opened for students with disabilities or those carrying heavy items.
At the time of the incident, the ramp had been opened for a student, allowing the shooter to use it as an entry point without passing through the usual security screening.
The university said it has 25 security guards assigned across the campus, including at school gates, building floors and surrounding areas. However, no guard was stationed at the ramp when the shooter entered.
Zamboanga City Police Chief PCOL Fidel Fortaleza Jr. said the student was dropped off by vehicle, walked directly to the ramp and entered the building carrying a bag containing the firearms later used in the shooting.
During the Senate hearing, lawmakers also questioned possible gaps in the school’s security procedures, including differences in screening between students arriving on foot and those dropped off by vehicles.
Ateneo de Zamboanga University is continuing its investigation into how the student entered the junior high school building with firearms.
The school is also reviewing CCTV footage to determine the exact sequence of events.























